Port forwarding allows you to try voice control immediately, but there are also better solutions to connect your home to Voxior. The VoxiorBox allows you to connect your Smart Home to Voxior without port forwarding and other changes to your network configuration. Simply connect it to power & network.
Important: Voxior only suggests setting up port-forwarding of your KNX IP Interface installation for testing purposes, since there is no authentication layer included in this setup. In normal setup Voxior strongly suggests the usage of a VoxiorBox which adds an additional security layer to the remote connection.
If you get a message in the Voxior app that there are difficulties connecting to your Smart Home Server, you will need to set up port forwarding. In just a few steps, we will look at how you can configure port forwarding.
1. Configure port forwarding on your router
Enter the IP address of the router in the browser to open the Log In page of the router. The router IP address is different between routers (Netgear: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, FritzBox: http://fritz.box/ or 169.254.1.1).
2. Log in
3. Go to the Port Forwarding/Applications section and create a New port-forwarding entry
Inside the router console page look for the Port Forwarding section. It depends on the router interface where you will be able to find it (Netgear: “Advanced” -> “Port Forwarding/Port Triggering” -> click “Add Custom Service“, FritzBox: “Permit Access” -> click “New Port Forwarding”).
4. Enter the device name and select target device (KNX IP Interface)
Configuring the new entry you would need to enter the following fields:
- Entry name (Type a unique name (up to 15 characters) for identification purposes)
- Protocol (Select TCP/UDP or just UDP)
- Incoming/External ports (Choose the port range that is above 5000 and choose the same port as starting and ending port): Fritzbox example: 7777, Netgear example: 8000
- Triggering/Internal ports (Set both starting and ending port to 3671)
5. Now go into the Voxior dashboard. Create a new KNX IP Interface and enter your external IP address or hostname (Google: “My IP address” to find it) and previously chosen incoming/external port. Then save the configuration, which will immediately check if there is a KNX IP Interface behind the provided location.
In case you would need help setting up port-forwarding or would have any additional questions or concerns please let us know through support chat or book a call where our technical team would happily answer all your questions.